NOTICE

NOTICE

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Only a father because I have a son

People who miss their fathers on this day are in some ways fortunate.  There are people who had difficult childhoods, adult-hoods, or otherwise.  But for me this day has changed in meaning.  I miss my dad, but not often, I remember him well.  I am, however, a father to my son.  My son doesn't buy me a card, he doesn't, even, remember the date usually.  I was gifted in life by his presence in my life. 

"Never fret for an only son, the idea of failure will never occur to him."
George Bernard Shaw

I became whole when I was made a father.  I didn't expect to have children, I feared the future, but my wife made me realize, there are powers greater than me, and the world might be better for our child's presence.  My son could change the world.

"I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection."
Sigmund Freud


As a father my heart grew in many ways, and love him.  Whatever things life gave or took away from me, having my son in my life made it exponentially better.


No comments:

Post a Comment