NOTICE

NOTICE

Thursday, June 22, 2017

My July Reading List

I try to make a dent in my reading list when I am taking breaks from writing.  It doesn't really have to follow a pattern but often it does.

This July I am going to reread Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Le Morte D'Arthur,  Edmund Spenser's Poetry, Beowulf A verse translation, and Idylls of the King, Alfred, Lord Tennyson.  I have them in Norton Critical editions and they deserve to be poured over for their depth.  I'd love to find a copy of Idylls of the King in the same format but alas I haven't.

I love the stories of Arthur of medieval Europe and of heroism.  That they are written in poetic form makes it all the more interesting to me.


I am reading the Dark Sun novels by Troy Denning.  I find his writing to be high quality, and the Dark Sun universe to be of a nature that brings out the best of heroic fantasy.  In this series you get a powerful view of the drastic, dangerous, desert world, that is as large a foe as any of the living beings.


I love Robert E. Howard's poetry.  It is better than his prose, and I am very happy to say, I love his prose.


I've been a fan of Mike Grell's Warlord for decades.  These two books I look forward to reading, like few others.



2 comments: