NOTICE

NOTICE

Friday, March 17, 2017

APOCALYPTIC BELIEF


 I am a Christian.

I was told today that I dance upon the tombs of the unbelievers by believing that God will some day destroy the world, taking his own with him before the end.  Now, there are at least three bad assumptions that were made by the person saying this to me.  I have issues with the comment because people assume many things that are far from true.

Assumption 1)  Christianity is a monolithic faith and what is true for one is true for all.  

Really?  Assuming I am no different from Catholicism or Assembly of God denominations is as bad as me saying that Atheists have no belief in anything.  Or that Agnostics are actually atheists in more polite clothing.  I don't believe these things.  And I am very different from Catholics or Assemblyites of God.

My belief in Armageddon and Apocalypse is that we are going to face the end of the earth, and whether it comes from God or man, it is going to happen.  It is a tragedy.  It is a catastrophe.  I mourn those lives I couldn't help, and far from dancing upon the graves, I see my failure in them.  I am not saying that Armageddon or Apocalypse isn't from God, or that I have hopes for great things in the afterlife.  I am saying that the bible should be rated PG-13 or R because if it is true, life is really going to descend into hell.

Assumption 2)  As a person I look forward to the horrible deaths of masses of people I do not know, along with those I know who do not believe as I do.

Insane.  I see in the accusation a hint of what the person meant about me, when they said what they did.  They see Christians as being cold, hurtful and smug.

I live a life that is by no means sinless, or flawed, but I do try to live in a moral fashion.  It happens often that I fail.  But at no point do I assume who should live or die regarding the end of the world.  I would never, and do not foresee this changing.  I believe in a compassionate god, but, I also know that if my belief that God is enormously powerful is true, 99% of what is real, that from God's perspective and understanding, is alien to my mind.  Yet, I try to be moral, and have tried to be a dispenser of mercy, hope, and goodness to others.  I try not, in fact, to judge others.  It is foreign to my form of belief.

Assumption 3) That I must not read the bible.  

This is a mistake people often make when hating Christians.  That is,  that they might know God's mind or heart more than one who actually believes the religion.  I am not saying I know more about God than anyone else, I am saying that I've read the bible, along with tons of books from other religions to discover truth.  I believe in God, and read the religious works that I do, with a mind to learn more about it.  I might well be wrong, flawed, mistaken, but I think someone who has read Shakespeare, for instance, would know more about Shakespeare's work than someone who listens to other people's opinions on the work.  (I don't altogether like the works, but recognize their importance and brilliance.)

I believe that the End is going to happen.  And it won't come with a banner flying behind a dragon saying "This is God telling you, time to die".  It'll appear as the worst sort of event in human history.  And from there, I can only pray that you are safe, hopeful, and have found shelter.
 


Revelation 19:11-21
And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war. His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many diadems; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself. He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses. From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty. And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, "KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS." Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out with a loud voice, saying to all the birds which fly in midheaven, "Come, assemble for the great supper of God, so that you may eat the flesh of kings and the flesh of commanders and the flesh of mighty men and the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them and the flesh of all men, both free men and slaves, and small and great." And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies assembled to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army. And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone. And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment