NOTICE

NOTICE

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Ezra Pound and other poets


The more I read about Ezra Pound the more I realize it is more than his poems that I find of great connection.  I think his mind worked like mine, even if it was a great deal better than mine.  He found solace in poetry but was a restless heart, perhaps due to his mind's efforts to know all things.  He was naive in many ways, and tried to be more than just a man, but, he tried to move minds with his ideas, words, and his insights.  

His later life was spent trying to change the world's mind about how money and the financial institutions had caused and profited from war.  His mind was compelled to share the truth he felt he had discovered.  And when he investigated the world of fascism, under Mussolini in particular, he was convinced that this was the answer to usury, to unfair advantages in capitalism, and the manipulation of politics by money.

I believe that he came to this, and his later evolution that Jews, who were often bankers, were the cause, due to the facts that he saw people his own age go off to war, and come back shattered, in World War 1, and perhaps the Spanish American war.  Whether it was out of guilt of not serving, out of horror of seeing lives destroyed, or a realization that when wars happen most people lose, except for those who build and supply the armies and loan money to build those armies.

I am not a fascist, but, I've had my moments, even years where I've believed that democracy gets swallowed up by moneyed interests over actual issues.  I've believed that a strong leader would achieve better results than the masses constantly changing leadership and presidents when their own agendas are not being served.  I don't believe in violence, nor an aggressive foreign policy, but many of our foreign policy issues might be better served by a feared warrior than the string of cowboys and peaceniks that have been our sitting president in chief.  This isn't about my personal preferences, but rather, a realization about various aspects of power, and that I understand where Pound became lost.

And his poetry is so powerful to me because it captures the mind of this man in so much detail, that even after he realized his horrible mistakes, he was able to respond, softly, and slowly, with much dignity, and honor.  When good men are mistaken, they do not dig in and fight to the end, they make certain to know their folly, and account for their actions.

I do not have anything near the talent of Ezra Pound.  I don't have anything near his mind, his language knowledge, nor, the wide open world he faced, of the 20th century.  His colleagues knew him to be a loose cannon, but deep down, they knew, he was a wild talent, and nothing could tame him.





No comments:

Post a Comment