NOTICE

NOTICE

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Collecting UK RPG Gaming Magazines


I was asked by a reader of my poems and books what is it that I do when not writing.  I am fat, so I eat.  I am out of shape, so I sleep.  I also clean the house and do the cat sand, I wash dishes, and do the trash.  But, other than take care of the home, eat, sleep, shit, repeat, I write.  I write every day more than 12 hours a day.  I was asked if that isn't anti-productive, because being fresh of mind is best when writing.  I say no.  Write as much as your imagination or mind can write.  The more you write the better you become as a writer.


But outside of my chosen labor, and household chores, I do a couple things.  I collect books, and love books immensely.  I hate the thought of ebooks, the idea that books can be replaced by files on discs or something.  So I try to collect the books that I love.  I buy books for other people too, because most who I do this for wouldn't think to do it themselves.  I sent over 500 books to servicemen and women in the Persian Gulf from 2003 to 2006.  It was a lot of money to do so, but the response that returned was more than thanks, it was love. 


And, I collected and would still collect if I had money, RPG Gaming magazines from the UK.  Why there?  It isn't due to rampant Anglophilism.  I do love the UK, but I am not so attached that everything they put out is better than in the US.  I love Canada and Japan too, I don't collect their RPG magazines.  (Don't even know if they exist.)  But the UK RPG magazines are literate, thoughtful, and really different in flavor than their US counterparts.  I would read them as a doorway to a different place, even when the magazines covered games I never played, or had even heard of.  It was just interesting. 


I collected comics too, but those will wait for now.  I am basking in the glow of memories of great reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment