NOTICE

NOTICE

Saturday, October 24, 2015

I didn't think so before, but, I found that I dig Bram Stoker


"I heard a heavy step approaching behind the great door, and saw through the chinks the gleam of a coming light. Then there was the sound of rattling chains and the clanking of massive bolts drawn back. A key was turned with the loud grating noise of long disuse, and the great door swung back.  Within, stood a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot, without a single speck of colour about him anywhere. He held in his hand an antique silver lamp, in which the flame burned without a chimney or globe of any kind, throwing long quivering shadows as it flickered in the draught of the open door. The old man motioned me in with his right hand with a courtly gesture, saying in excellent English, but with a strange intonation.
"Welcome to my house! Enter freely and of your own free will!""  Bram Stoker from Dracula


An Irishman, Bram Stoker was a talented fellow.  He had begun his adult career as a office worker for a local government.  But finding that mind numbing, he strove for more creative freedom.  So, his creative fire burned in the fashion of a writer.  His many tales came out and were perhaps less beloved as mostly respected.  Movies have been made of his works, and deservedly.

Born in Clontarf, Ireland
Died in London, England


Dracula his most famous tale is perhaps one of the most excitingly dark tales he wrote.  The movies made from his literary creations never quite arrived at his achievement, until Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is a shade off of perfect.  In book, comic and movie form you can pursue this work.

“Friend John, forgive me if I pain. I showed not my feeling to others when it would wound, but only to you, my old friend, whom I can trust. If you could have looked into my very heart then when I want to laugh; if you could have done so when the laugh arrived; if you could do so now, when King Laugh have pack up his crown, and all that is to him — for he go far, far away from me, and for a long, long time — maybe you would perhaps pity me the most of all.”   I was touched by the tenderness of his tone, and asked why.
“Because I know!”  Bram Stoker

 

 

Of course Bram Stoker wrote more than Dracula, so search for all of his works.  Some have more quality than others.  I've really found a deep affection for the narrative voice in his works, so that even when I am not moved, I still find worth and entertainment.





No comments:

Post a Comment