NOTICE

NOTICE

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Flying the Flag


 "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima is a historic photograph taken on February 23, 1945, by Joe Rosenthal,  AP photographer."

I understand that when the reasons are known and worthy, men and women can and do go to war for the right reasons.  There is evidence of that, it has been recorded, and I am not taking any issue with that.  But there are wars that are fought, seemingly endlessly, for no clear purpose, that seem solely out of the desire to blow up things and kill people.  That I do not understand.  Also, when the motives of a movement, such as that of the Allies in World War Two against Fascism are agreed upon, it is a foundation upon which to act in accord.  But what happens when the facts are false, the motives are lies, and nobody is in the situation for the same reason as anyone else.

Photo not in public domain, used via fair use doctrine, copyright the holder.


What if the participants in a movement are honorable and good, but they face complete annihilation?  Should they abandon the cause?  Is life lived under conditions that do not reflect your morals or world view worth living?  If a movement is doomed to failure, should it never be attempted?  If a person cannot escape fate, should they therefore never try to be free?  I am by no means the person to change the world.  I've dealt with my own demons to the exhaustion of my being.  So it raises a question for me, if I can't, why should I expect or hope for anyone else to do so?  Perhaps we are all facing the very same demons, but under a different name.

By Eugene DeLaCroix
 "Liberty Leading the People" by Eugene DelaCroix is a famous work depicting a flag waving symbol of the spirit of France during the July Revolution of 1830.  The depiction of liberty in revolution is not Anti-France, but rather pro French people, anti- Royalty.  Liberty and freedom are not going to take any more abuses, and thus rise up.

The world has had many moments where freedom, liberty and honor defeated tyranny and racism, and violent nationalism.  So, I know there are movements that worth dying for.  At the moment I am not able to escape my confines and prison (I am once again sick), but when I do I'll go further into that thought.

"Raising a flag over the Reichstag is a historic World War II photograph (by Yevgeny Khaldei ), taken during the Battle of Berlin on 2 May 1945. It is symbolic of the Soviet victory and occupation in east Germany in the closing months of the war."

I won't post links on this blog very often, my intent is to continue to write about my past, present and future, from a personal perspective, and nothing else.  I don't want to be selling anything here.  But, I do know some people visit this blog and do not know why I think I am a writer.  So, for your edification...

http://alexnesspoetry.blogspot.com
https://www.amazon.com/author/alexness  

http://catastrophicmemories.blogspot.com
http://cargocultmodernday.blogspot.com
http://the5thline.blogspot.com
http://poplitiko.blogspot.com 

I can be found on twitter
And my email is AlexanderNess63@gmail.com



"Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid, one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory." Douglas MacArthur

No comments:

Post a Comment