NOTICE

NOTICE

Saturday, April 18, 2015

My Country, My America

I was asked if I agree with all of the changes going on in the US, like Gay marriage, pot legalization and the secularization of government.    I don't and never have smoked pot, or used in other forms, I am heterosexual, and have led a boring life sexually, and I am religious, so from the start it might seem that I would be opposed to those changes.  But, I don't think these changes are the real issues that are changing.  

A country is different than a person, and therefore, I look upon these issues quite differently than the people who have asked me about my views towards the changes.  Governance is about a contract with the people, and therefore, to some degree, while the government changed the way things would be, by going through the courts, they followed a path that made certain that simple popular will was not used to determine the law.  In any case, the following are my views of the changes.

Gay Marriage for me is not about my beliefs, it is about equality.  Pot legalization for me is not about ability to use, as it is the failure of and cost of the drug war upon the US, which is enormous.  And the government might give a prayer before breakfast, or say under God in some oath, but, the US is a mixture of believers in many different things, non believers, and people who never gave religion a thought.  To suggest that Government should be more religious or less secular is to favor one over the rest.  So long as the Government doesn't say I CAN'T believe in my God and act upon my faith, I am content with it in this area.

Then again, the question was asked because people of faith are worried, rightly or wrongly, over the  many changes.  It is a shock to many that things that would be considered unthinkable 50 years ago, are now legal.

My father, who was a Democrat, never voting GOP, would have had an issue with Gay marriage, Pot legalization, and might not have an issue with less prayer and less attention to religious people or their interests, but he'd likely have been suspicious of it. 

At no point am I suggesting that I think any of it is wrong.  I am suggesting that 1, I am not threatened by it, 2, I am still able to be who I am heterosexually and religiously, 3) I am still an American, and so are everyone else who are both for and against such change.  And since I live in a country comprised of 300 million people, (or more) the rights of the minorities are important, and the values of the majority need to be paid attention to as well.  Diversity means we have a great pool of thought and ideas, and every problem we have can be addressed by many different points of view.

I believe that the vision of America is a solid one, and democracy is a goal that is worthy of the people, and worthy of the efforts to achieve it.




No comments:

Post a Comment