NOTICE

NOTICE

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Death Defeated

"I long to be with you, and to love you forever."

I told my wife that.  And I believe in forever.  I am a Christian, as I've stated so many times my atheist friends are turning green... I believe in eternity.  Now, having said all of that, I don't believe that eternity is a temporal, physical, viscerally experienced world.  I believe we are sent here to earth to endure suffering, enjoy pleasure, to understand the sensual world, and by sensual I am not implying erotic. 

So, why do these bones left in this fashion move me?  I mean, obviously if I believe in eternity and the continuance of existence via the spiritual realm, or non material realm, aren't these skeletons just remnants or artifacts of life?  No.  They are a photograph, a memory, of the power of love, unto death.  Death is powerful, it is transformational, it removes hope from many people.  But, in loving one another, and being buried together, in embrace, they were able to mock death, to flip it the bird, if you will.

When asked how I wanted to be cared for after death I said, I don't care.  This led to a long conversation of how our death here is not a big deal to me, and that whatever my wife and family chose to do with my remains, I was cool.  So my wife said, so we just have you buried and move on.  I said no, have me cremated and flush my ashes down the toilet.  She wasn't too happy with that, but, I said, honestly, the bathroom is where I spend most of my life, if you must have a certain lingering memory of me, flush me in memorial to all the time I spent there.

She wasn't really convinced.



















"A pair of human skeletons lie entwined at an Neolithic archaelogical dig site near Mantova, Italy, in a photo released February 6, 2007. In a Valentines Day gift to the country, scientists said they are determined to jointly remove and preserve the remains of the couple buried 5,000 to 6,000 years ago, their arms still wrapped around each other in an enduring embrace.  Credit: Reuters/Enrico Pajello/Handout"

No comments:

Post a Comment